Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Revving Up for Event Day

My event in 2 weeks starts at 8:00 a.m. As you can probably gather, most event planning work is done before an event (hence the term planning!). Once you're on-site, it's monitoring and problem-solving but if you're not well-prepared, there is only so much you can do. So the day before, and the morning of, are critical.


If I'm low on sleep, I will barely make it through the event. I know, I've tried. So I have a system (of course). There is no sleeping in on weekends during events season. For a recent event, I started to go to bed early 4 nights prior: 10 p.m. to get up at 6 a.m. then 9 p.m. to get up at 5 a.m. Not too tough.

But my upcoming event requires a 4 a.m. alarm which seems so much worse than 5 a.m. I plan on starting my sleeping regiment for that day five days prior working my way up in 30 minute intervals. Extreme, you think? Not to me on the night before, when I can easily fall asleep at 8 p.m., have 8 hours of peaceful rest before a 18 hour day leading production, staff, volunteers and attendees.

Don't underestimate the power of sleep! If you have any other tricks (chamomile tea, anyone?), I'd love to hear them before I start my regiment!

2 comments:

  1. gin- that's so smart of you. when i used to wake up at 3am for work, i'd just try to go to bed early the night before. totally never worked. usually ended up falling asleep in my morning coffee. speaking of coffee, remember that two cups of coffee per day as your only fluid intake does not hydration make. drink your water! i'm a very big fan of keeping hydrated. our bodies need water to work properly! and no, wine doesn't count towards your fluid intake either. xo. dr.deidre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gin you are brilliant! What a great plan. I will use this method if ever I'm forced to awake at such an ungodly hour.

    Only suggestion I have... it's somewhat related to sleep/staying awake... Eat apples! They are a wonderful source of energy and give off a natural high that is less jittery than that from coffee/caffeine and lasts longer. :) Good luck with the event!

    ReplyDelete