Monday, June 15, 2009

First Success from Networking

As a small business owner, I'm constantly fitting in marketing efforts between my client work. In order to have next events to plan, I have to think about what I'll be doing in 6-12 months and talk to my clients about what they will be doing in 6-12 months. Seems pretty simple, especially when my relationships with my clients seem like I'm another (cheaper!) employee to them. But this year I came across a dilemma. What do I do when clients aren't planning anything in 6-12 months? Time to find more clients.

I've never been a very good networker. I prefer my role as a behind-the-scenes person and wasn't planning to even name the business after myself until one of my mentors - a marketing guru - reminded me that I'm selling my skills, so using my name was absolutely necessary! I typically attend networking events with someone else I know, look for others I know and, only if I'm feeling extremely adventurous, exchange business cards with a few other people I will never contact. Not exactly a recipe for success.

The problem is, I'm a relationship person. Fleeting conversations with people I'll never see again is of no interest to me. I have realized that I need to have opportunities to see people repeatedly, really get to know them (aka care about them), and develop a reciprocal relationship with them in order to expand my network (and therefore my business).

This is why I'm starting a chapter of Business Networking International in my area. We've been meeting once a month to grow the group and little by little, we're all really getting to know each other. Next comes caring about each other, particularly, each other's businesses.

Already, someone interested in the group introduced me to her contact, who was looking for a local event planner. She passed along my information because "I was the only one she knew in the area." Now that isn't the greatest vote of confidence, but by handling the referral professionally and putting my best foot forward (always!), the next time she thinks of me will come with a better introduction.

Her contact took a chance on me and I was able to prove I was worthy of that referral, solidifying a new relationship with much potential. This is marketing I can get into. Now onto the next 6-12 months!

2 comments:

  1. rock and roll, super networker! -Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Gin, I'm running out of your business cards b/c I throw your name out to everyone I encounter! Blame it on my unabashed openness and antithesis to your professionalism!
    -S

    ReplyDelete