Thursday, April 2, 2009

ChArLOTte’s “got A LOT”

A few weeks ago I paid my first visit to Charlotte, North Carolina to research venues for my non-profit client’s annual meeting, which is held in a different city each year. To keep costs down, I go for one overnight and see meet with as many venues and vendors as possible. This trip included seven hotels, three restaurants and a transportation company.

It’s always important to us to schedule site visit time wisely, particularly when travel funds are limited. I like to organize meetings 1½ hours apart leaving just enough time to get from site to site and walk around each property to see what amenities and/or reception venues exist nearby. Typically, my client likes at least one evening to include an off-site activity so I research venues in advance and then speak with as many people locally as possible to find the best options that are close enough to forego the added cost of transportation.

Of course, having a clear picture of the event details, including potential dates, timing, activities, and space requirements is most important. My client really prefers natural sunlight in the meeting rooms and that takes precedence over the splashiest of surroundings. In Charlotte, I found it somewhat difficult to find space that met this requirement but one hotel was able to offer a room next to a private hallway that has an entire wall of windows. Open the meeting doors, and voila - natural sunlight in the room.

Speaking of (in?) French...I finally have some photos from the meeting in New Orleans! Stay tuned next week for those!

No comments:

Post a Comment